Sunday, July 24, 2011

Angel Lake Hike

For my Sunday off this week I decided to go to Angel Lake for a hike and just to enjoy the afternoon. Lara came along with me and we drove out to Wells, then up a sketchy, skinny road to the lake. No guardrails and a drop off made for a bit of a nervous drive for me, since I still have a little of that fear of heights.
We decided to hike up one of the many trails in the area, this one leading to Smith Lake. As you can see, there was a bit of snow on the trail yet, which made it slightly treacherous. At the second snow patch we turned back since it was getting late and because we didn't want to risk sliding off the side of the mountain! Plus I was hiking in sandals... yeah not the best idea. Too hot for boots though.

It was a beautiful, warm, sunny afternoon, and the bugs weren't even out. I was glad to see the renowned Angel Lake and had fun looking at the cool rocks. Yes, once a nerdy geologist, always a nerdy geologist. By the time we got back in town, it was time for bed!

No comments: